Saturday, November 13, 2021

'nother frock coat

 I haven't sewn much recently (I made another of those vests that are basically a cell phone carrier, but nothing else), and I've been wearing the frock coat I made over the summer. I like it a lot, and have gotten a number of compliments, but I also know all of its flaws, and wanted something better.

A week ago, I went to the fabric store and found some nifty grey wool-and-acrylic blend, and they had real lining fabric in bright red. I'd used bridal satin to line the first one, which is luxurious, but the satin has some body to it, and, since the suiting fabric was so light, the satin affected the way the coat hangs. The outer fabric for this one is heavy enough that I could have used satin, but the lining will do.

 

The pattern only has two outer pockets, so I add inside pockets myself; three on this one. I'd thought of two, but they weren't big enough to get a wallet into easily, so I added a third. You can see two of them on the inner facing at right above. At left, the right front panel with the pocket flap.

I learned a lot on the last one, and this one's going together a lot easier. The lining is mostly done; I've got to do the outer back and sleeves, and assemble on the sewing machine. At that point, the jacket is about 60% complete; there is an amount of hand hemming and buttons/buttonholes that take far more time and attention than one would think. 

But I expect it will be together by Christmas. Perhaps it will be part of my Scrooge costume.

No comments:

Post a Comment