Sunday, November 21, 2021

almost dave's ride

 

Freewheeler Dave H posted a ride from Skillman Park for Saturday, but then was unable to lead and cancelled. Laura OLPH took his route, and rejiggered it so that it started at Twin Pines in Hopewell (when she sent it around to those of us she invited, she called it "The Route I Stole from Dave"). There wasn't time to post as a club ride, so she invited a few of usual Hill Slugs; John K, Peter G, and I went along.

Much of the Pennington-Rocky Hill/Cherry Valley road was closed, as I discovered when I was almost late to the start, but we were able to work around it. It happened that Laura placed the stop at the Blawenburg Bistro, my currently-favorite stop. (After my experiences with the closings of the Main St Cafe in Kingston and Sourland Coffee in Pennington, I'm all rah-rah for the Bistro. I engaged in my frequent refrain, while there, of "Stay the F@&# Open!" I'm sure the staff smiles were as much for the eccentric old man as for my wishes for their continued prosperity.)

After the stop, we got to go up Province Line Road (you'll see it in the ride page, and it's beastly in both directions), and I got to remember how hateful it is. As we came to Cheery Valley, it was still closed to trucks, but the constable allowed us to pass as far as Carter, where we turned off and headed towards Princeton. By the time we got to downtown Pennington, the breathlessness from Province Line had passed, and I was able to speak coherently again. (Hrmph. Do you suppose my silence for a few miles was the reason Laura picked that route?)

No comments:

Post a Comment