Sunday, July 25, 2010

Anniversary

Today, my wife and I are going out for a big feed to celebrate the 16th anniversary of our first date. We're going to the Manor in West Orange for the excellent buffet. We're gonna eat like pigs. I expect it will be shameful.

But the real point of this post is to ruminate over this: how on earth did I ever get to spend 16 years with the same person? And how are we, not only on speaking terms, but actually enjoying one another's company?

Prior to this, most of my relationships lasted about three to four months, followed by months of recovery and personal inventory, and thoughts of, "I'll never do that again," (which I invariably did). My first marriage didn't last quite all the way through the recessional march (well, that's an exaggeration - but not by much). And now I'm with my wife for 16 years, and we're planning where (and how) we're going to retire.

I am amazed. Grateful, but amazed.

No comments:

Post a Comment