Wednesday, July 28, 2010

TSOFEOTB

More on the bike: since I got my new wheels, I've had more than my share of tube punctures - and all of the punctures have been on the wheel side, not the tire side (where you would expect them if road debris were causing the flats). Reviews (like the ones linked) complain of the difficulty of mounting tires (to which I can attest; I broke two tire levers, and am now the owner of several industrial-quality tire installation levers, including a steel set) and the poor quality of the rim strips (that protect the tube from the spoke ends, and sharp edges of the machined wheel).

Today I went out for a ride, and within four miles, I had four punctures in three tubes. I broke down and got replacement rim tapes and installed them. I've put in twenty miles of riding around my condo complex (boooo-RING!), and have not had a flat. The rim tapes appear to have worked. Just in case, though, I bought four more tubes and another patch kit.

Sheesh. Between this and the frame, I'm hoping that I'm just going through The Season Of Fixing Everything On The Bike... and I hope it's a season that's over soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment