Saturday, August 7, 2010

Princeton Freewheelers Event Day

The Princeton Freewheelers Bicycle Club Event was today. This Event consists of a choice of rides: 13, 26, 50, 65, and 100 mile rides that are mostly flat with some rolling hills, and a 65 mile "almost hilly" ride with enough uphills to be a challenge. My partner and I rode the 65-mile "flat" ride. We went off the route a couple of times, and added about 3-3½ miles to the route... and we rode faster together than either of us would have done alone. I think this is because each of us is trying to be sure that the other doesn't think he's a wimp, so when one of us gets ahead (even if it's to break the headwind), the other thinks he's gotta keep up. Whatever the reason, I would have expected my average speed for the 70-or-so miles to have been about 17 mph, not the almost 18.5 that we actually did.

The Freewheelers do the event well. There's a rest area every 20-25 miles, with water, Gatorade, snacks, and a toilet. Routes are well-marked (if you're paying attention), and cue sheets are provided. Pre-ride snacks, and post ride lunch, and a tee-shirt come with the fee, and there are vendors at the end. Some of the local bike shops have mechanics available to look at your bike, and there's "sag wagon" service if either the bike, or the rider, isn't going to make it.

This ride partner is a new experience for me, and, I think, for him; we're still being tender with each other, in the way of new acquaintances that are trying to work out the parameters of the contract. We don't know what to talk about with each other yet, nor what kinds of offers or demands we can make. He's not a native English speaker, and I'm a typical American with only one language (and more than a little bit of hearing loss), so I only get about 80% of what he's saying. I don't miss enough to get in too much trouble (I hope), but I suspect there's some frustration from both of us.

He's talking about doing a 100-mile ride next week. I had initially refused, but, if we're going to do a 100-mile ride, this is probably the way to do it: there will be a ride leader, who will maintain the pace (at about 16 mph) and make at least two stops. I'm afraid that if it were just my partner and I, we'd get that competitive thing going, and do the whole thing at about 18 mph... and I'd be crippled for a month.

After the ride (and a nap), my wife and I went out to the high-school graduation party of the son of a friend. This party is about the son, of course, and not about us (or even the graduate's parents); still, we had to put in an appearance. Parties where I don't know a lot of the people are hard for me; I find them enervating (as I'm typing this, the room is mostly dark so I can psychically refuel a bit) - and, of course, I was still tired from the ride (despite the nap). However, since an episode before we got married, I never ask to leave a social engagement, but wait for her to be ready. She hinted at an escape, but then got involved in a conversation with a couple she sees less than she would like, and by the time she was ready to leave, I had grown unacceptably cranky. We had A Discussion on the way home about my unsociability, and how it's reducing the number of our friends and invitations. I think we've worked out a solution for now, but there is still some rough water in the house, and more ahead on this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment