Saturday, February 19, 2011

darusha's Act of Will

Darusha Wehm, author of two of my favorite books on .mp3, Beautiful Red and Self Made, has a new one coming out in RSS as .pdf and .mp3: Act of Will. I like to read books faster than one chapter a week, which is the usual speed of serialized books, and Darusha is feeding my desire there: five posts (and fifteen chapters) in less than a week!

Her character, Andersson "Dex" Dexter, works a dead-end job by day, and moonlights as a freelance cop (in a world bereft of useful government for citizens, security is provided only by big businesses, and then only for those situations that the businesses choose to investigate and pursue, so private matters of employees, and all matters for self- or un-employed people, have to be handled outside the standard channels). I'm a sucker for the corporate-dystopia genre (especially since I think there's a real possibility that it will be instituted by a week from Tuesday: I've always felt we are more likely to be screwed by business than we are by government), so the atmosphere in these novels is right up my alley. (The first one is not a "Dex" novel, but it's set in the same world.)

I've just read the first three chapters of Act of Will, and it starts right off with a scary-but-spiffy murder and a stalking of the next victim, along with the obligatory backstory and setup for new readers. I'm liking it (although I've given up on listening to the books on .mp3 - I find I miss too much, and it's too hard to go back and re-read something to catch what I missed the first time. Maybe it's my age - I'm pushin' 60 - but sometimes the older technology is better).

Act of Will is available as both .mp3 and .pdf podcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment