Saturday, February 5, 2011

I miss riding

Even after a rainy, above-freezing day here in Central NJ, the snow piles around my apartment are taller than I, and the roads are in no condition for a bike ride even if the temperature were warm enough for me to go. I've been on the trainer in the garage, but it's not the same as a ride: first of all, I haven't really got a good idea how much resistance to put on the wheel (although as I warm up, I find myself upshifting), and second,
it's. immensely. boring.
(even while listening to RadioLab or the Car Guys - and what would I do without podcasts?).

When I went to the new-rider info session for the Anchor House Ride that I might do this summer, they gave us copies of a DVD they made from the previous year's ride. It's remarkably well done, with original and semi-original (pastiche) music, chats with riders and staff, and yonks of pictures and video of riders, riding, and sights along the ride. When not being able to ride the bike gets too bad, I've been watching the video. It's not as good as being in the saddle with my Lycra on, but it's better than just counting the days until spring.

In other news, I've bought another chain and handlebar tape, getting ready for an overhaul this spring. I still need a set of cables, and my seatpost is slipping again (I put in the Velo Orange aluminum one, when I put on a new stem - it was all about the bling; I like the silver look with the titanium frame better than the standard black), so there may be a Surly Constrictor in my future (although I wish it came in silver).

No comments:

Post a Comment