Sunday, September 22, 2013

freewheelers rides & picnic

The weather was threatening all week, but last night it seemed like to day might be a good day for the Princeton Freewheelers September Picnic (and HOW could they have NO MENTION of the picnic on the website?). So The Excellent Wife (TEW) and I got up and got our act together in time to get to Mercer Park East. TEW had plans to find a "D+" ride, and I didn't know if I would do a "B" or "B+" ride.

TEW found a pickup "D+" ride with Dan R. I was torn between Gary W's ride (he showed a sign for a "fast B") and Sue M's ride, but Laura OLPH suggested Sue's ride , because then she wouldn't have to feel inferior if I posted a fast average or time (or something like that) (EDIT: See her comment; I wasn't even close). In the interests of amicitia quam celeritate, I agreed.

We didn't all do the same ride; Sue M was leading from the back, and just before the stop, some went straight, but I went right with Sue and took the long way. We stopped at Bruno's new shop (which is neat, and going to get another visit from me, I'm sure). So maybe this makes up for my missing the route on the McBride Ride last week. (Or maybe not.)

Here's the route I took. It matches the one Sue intended, with the exception of a few yards of Mercer Park bike path at the end.

Did some sweeping on this ride. Early on, a rider was falling off the back; he (sensibly) decided that this ride was too much for him and went back. I give him a lot of credit for that. Later, leader Sue M was in back, she may have been getting caught by the wind (as it's clear some others were). We were heading into the wind as we went back to the park, I provided to some of our cohort an impromptu lesson in drafting.

When I got back, TEW was already back from her ride, although I missed her for a bit. With the new Synapse, the D+ ride was both too short and not fast enough for her.

I fear I've created a monster.

Pics below. Most of 'em didn't come out, and I ran out of battery again. Gathering for the ride:



On the ride:



The Excellent wife, herself!


Post-ride picnic (some of these took a LOT of post-processing):






1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure I said that AFTER you made up your mind. Before, I said I wasn't riding with Gary because I had nothing to prove.

    ReplyDelete