Thursday, September 12, 2013

ride for mcbride

I don't think I ever met Joe McBride, but I know a number of his friends, and by them, I can tell a lot about him. He was clearly salty, opinionated, and well-loved. He taught at the U Penn School of Social Policy & Practice.

He was killed in a cycling accident a few years ago, and, ever since, his friends and family have a charity ride in his honor, going for a scholarship to that school. The first was a pickup ride in the November after he died; subsequent rides have been more organized. I've supported all of them (I didn't ride one due to illness), and I keep a red jersey - evidently Joe's favorite color - specifically to do this ride.

This year's ride is Sunday, Sept 15. Laura OLPH and the Hill Slugs are going. We'll be starting about 8am.

Come on out. Ride for a guy who loved riding, who was loved by riders, and who lived, but not long enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment