Saturday, May 26, 2018

death march ride with friends.

Well, I don't think it was a death march ride for THEM.

A day or two ago, I was copied (along with others) on an email Tom H sent to Blake about a non-club ride he was planning to lead. After a few weekends with ugly weather and other commitments, I resolved to go, and I remember thinking a bit on the way down to the start about friendship, and getting invitations to stuff like this, and gratitude.

The only ones who were available and who responded were me and Jack H.


Tom's in front; Jack's in the orange.

Tom had a 50+ mile route from his house that he said was gonna be flat; his wife is recovering from knee surgery and Tom didn't want to be away all day. The distance was probably more than I should have taken on; it was a hot; humid day and I haven't the miles in my legs that I'd like. Within a few miles, I was a bit sick to my stomach; I pulled over in case emesis was imminent, but it wasn't (too bad; it might have helped).

The guys were waiting when I came around a curve. I told them about how I felt, and we agreed to continue, even if I was going to hold them back a bit. I thought some more about the nature of friendship.

We had a stop at a nondescript convenience store in Farmingdale (where Tom customarily stops on his rides to Belmar). Some Gatorade helped the agita to pass. But they didn't have a usable toilet, so we resolved to stop at the Dunkin Donuts in West Freehold.

We did, and I got another Gatorade. And we met this 79-year-old guy out with his bike and his dog.


He expressed some interest in the club, and we told him about D-rides, Team Social Security, and our token octogenarians. I hope he comes out.

Back we came over the straightest safe route Tom could think of. At Etra Park, Tom saw a dog running loose into the park and decided to go after it. I got dizzy standing in the sun, and moved into the shade with Jack; after a short while, Tom gave up on the dog and we proceeded back to the start.

I was beat. This is at least the second ride this year where I've been beat at the end. Jack had added miles and had more to go, and, as far as I can tell, he may still be riding away. Tom said he wasn't in much better shape than I, and that everybody has bad days.

I'm hoping it was just a bad day. But I'm also grateful for friends who invite me, and who look out for me when I'm not at the top of my game.

Ride page.

No comments:

Post a Comment