Wednesday, August 22, 2018

back to team social security

The Excellent Wife (TEW) planned this week off so that after we got back from our couple of days in Cape May, there would be maximal time for bike rides; today she sent me off to ride with Team Social Security again.

I don't get to ride with 'em as often as I used to, and I didn't know most of the guys on the C+ ride I did (I saw club president Ira S, but he did the other, C ride). I remember Al P, Eddie L, Joe M, and Carol J, but I don't think I knew the others.







No matter; they were pleasant and welcoming enough. We started of heading back up into Allentown from Byron Johnson Park, and then east towards the Assunpink and south-ish, at a pace that was a bit brisk; but nobody lost any body parts or anything, and the rest of the ride was less demanding.

We stopped at the Emery's Blueberry Farm, where I remember excellent pies and bake-y stuff (but, alas, the numbers on the scale are telling me to forbear), and where I remember going on a hot, muggy day with Laura OLPH and the Hill Slugs. The overcast today made the trip a bit less uncomfortable than that one, although the headwind afterwards might have provided enough extra calories burned that I could have had some goodies (I just checked the scale again - nope).







The headwind also gave us a chance to share pulls and show off paceline skills; some of these old guys are strong! (I'm looking forward to the day I can ride with 'em regularly; yet another reason to try to retire soon!)

One near mishap; a fellow in a pickup came up on the left, and took a right turn only a few feet ahead of the first rider. No harm (no strike), but it put a pall on the next few miles.

But not enough that it ruined the whole ride. TEW and I have another date tomorrow (I'll likely put up a post about it*), and I'll look for some Team Social Security miles on Friday, presuming the weather continues to cooperate.

*I only link posts on the Freewheeler Facebook page if they're about Freewheeler rides. Feel free to drop in on the rest of the blog if you want to see the other craziness (in all the meanings of that word) that we get up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment