Saturday, August 18, 2018

not everything went wrong

Laura OLPH put in for a ride to Round Valley today, which meant some rollers and a demanding climb up to the reservoir. I was up for the ride; I wasn't up for the thunderstorms that were predicted. After agonizing (and I do not use that word lightly) over whether to go, I loaded up the car and headed for the start, with echoes of The Excellent Wife (TEW)'s admonition not to ride like a jerk in my ears.

I'd written about how the anxiety is kicking my posterior. It's not all better, by any means, but it seems like it was at least partly caused by a blood-pressure medication I'd started for a few weeks; and when I stopped the medication, the anxiety was much reduced. The Mayo Clinic site says anxiety is a rare side effect, but it certainly seems to have been so for me. I'm now on another medication for which anxiety is a known side effect, but this one isn't as bad, although I think some of the other side effects came into play on today's ride. (Another help for the anxiety came from the support I got from the people on this ride. Rain and other commitments have meant I haven't ridden as much as I'd like, which means I haven't seen my riding friends as much as I'd like. And they listen to me complain and decompensate when I do come along, just as if I had more claim on their time and attention than I do. I cannot express how grateful I am to the people with whom I ride, some regularly, some less so.)

I got to the start later than I usually do, but I still got my usual parking lot pictures. It's become so common that my regulars have started posing for 'em...





... but i like the pictures better when they don't:




Keeping an eye out for weather, off we went. We had mostly rolling hills in the first ten miles, then the beginning of a slow clime that you think will end at the Round Valley Reservoir... but it doesn't; it leads to a descent and a flat, and then a much harder climb to the reservoir.

Due to the humidity, the sweat got into my glasses so bad that I could barely see out of the left eye, so when we got to the boat launch at the reservoir, I repaired to the men's room to clean my glasses. The glasses require a certain amount of disassembly and reassembly, and I was shaking so bad fro the exertion that, by the time I emerged from the can, the rest of the Slugs were champin' at the bit to get going, so I didn't get pictures of the reservoir. So that was unlucky. (The reservoir is much more full than I remember from the last two trips, and lovely.)

Sp off we went to Jerry's Brooklyn in Whitehouse Station... except no, we didn't; yours truly had a flat, which I fixed in reasonably short order... but I lost my frame pump and decided not to go back to get it. So that was unlucky.

I did get some pictures at Jerry's:





After the stop, I noticed that I didn't recover from the climb to the reservoir as much as I'd hoped. It could be not enough riding, or the blood-pressure medication, or both. I was behind much of the way. I did get out in front for a bit, and didn't hear Laura call out a turn (I wasn't THAT far off the front!) and had to push to catch up. It took a lot out of me.

About five miles from the end, Laura had a flat, which, for me, was about the best-timed flat she could have planned; I needed the rest. So that was actually lucky!

Still, by the time we got back to the cars, I needed to sit in the air-conditioning for a while before I felt OK to drive home. I finished the last of my lukewarm water and headed back for shower and laundry.

Tom H is talking about a similarly-demanding ride in Pennsylvania next weekend, and I don't know if I'm up for it. We'll see how the week goes.

Meanwhile, I'm keeping a weather eye out for my ride for tomorrow. What do you think? Should I cancel?

No comments:

Post a Comment