Wednesday, May 29, 2019

in which the excellent wife is, of course, right

(If you're looking for info about the ride for June 2, that's a separate post, a bit further down.)


I have been cranky the past few days, and did not feel like going on a ride today. The Excellent Wife (TEW) urged me to go (she was not nagging; her means of persuasion are more nuanced than that), and, with a trunkload of reservations about it, I got my act together and headed down to Byron Johnson Park this morning, planning to ride with Al Porter's C+ crew.

At this time of year, the lot is full with overflow of student cars from the nearby high school, but there were still spaces enough for us.














(Sometimes, when I'm taking pictures, I tell the victim subject to "look competitive". Rarely am I taken as seriously as I was by that woman in the picture above. It was gratifying.)


Al wanted to get back in time for the monthly Team Social Security luncheon, and had a route in mind, but I'm not sure he had all the details worked out at the time of departure. We had a little discussion about the use of the RideWithGPS phone app, and then the C+ crowd took off.



You'll see by the ride page that this is a C+ ride about the way my Sunday rides are B rides, but in the other direction. We were cruisin' at a pretty hot pace... but we all kept up. Spence, who's got 20 years on me, and I traded pulls for a while before we pulled into Emley's Blueberry Farm.









We'd had a tailwind on the way out,and got the corollary headwind on the way back. Some of us got spread out a bit, but we all caught up.



And we brought it in with an average speed somewhere above the C+ range, as you can see from the ride page.

And, of course, I felt better and my mood was lifted by the time the ride was over, just as TEW had predicted. Do you suppose she ever gets tired of being right?

1 comment: