Wednesday, March 24, 2021

hi-viz bike gear: begging for approval

 I hate high-visibility bike clothing. 

Evidence for effectiveness is mixed: one article says it helps, but only if drivers are paying attention anyway; this article says it may increase the odds of a crash; it's pretty clear that the evidence is mixed, at best.

To me, though, the wearing of high-viz gear seems like we're begging the drivers for permission to be on the same roads as they. "See?", we say. "We're doing everything we can to make it convenient for you! We take on all the responsibility for your asshole driving!"

Nope. Bright colors are a good idea. But high-viz just strikes me as so much begging. 

I won't do it until it's mandatory.

Which I suspect it will be some day.

And then, I'll be protesting, and finding passive-aggressive ways of undermining the mandate.


There's a group that rides out of East Brunswick, and one of the requirements, apparently, is that riders wear high-viz lemon-yellow. Now that I'm making jerseys, I feel like I should make one all-black, with a quarter-inch stripe of that high-viz yellow across the back shoulders, and show up for the start, so they can throw me the hell out.

No comments:

Post a Comment