Sunday, June 27, 2021

unreliable meteorology, uncooperative weather, two-thirds of 100, and overdoing it: weekend rides.

Laura OLPH likes to get centuries (100-mile rides), although it may be she likes having 'em done more than the actual riding of them. Once a year or so, she schedules a pick-your-distance ride to Belmar: 100 miles round-trip from her house, or 82-or-so from Mercer Park, or 68-or-so from Etra Park.

Now, Tom H, in a not-uncommon-for-him moment of wisdom, said to me a few years ago about riding centuries (and why he doesn't), "I've never gotten 80 miles into a ride and said to myself, 'You know what I could really go for now? Another 20 miles!' ". That made so much sense to me that I gave up doing longer rides than I really want to do on the spot .The most I like is about 70 miles.

But when I looked at the registrants for the pick-your-distance-to-Belmar ride Laura had scheduled for June 26, I saw that nobody else was registered for any less than 100 miles. And, further, weather threatened: rain and thunderstorms. By the day before, I had decided to register for the 68 miles, but I emailed Laura about the threatening predictions; she emailed back that both Accuweather and NOAA were saying no rain. However, all of the weather sources I use disputed that. 

With more hope than sense, I showed up at Etra for the start of the 68-mile loop; shortly thereafter, Tom H was there. And only a little later than predicted the rest of the group rolled in.








There was a stop, early for Tom and me, but appropriate for the long-distance riders.







We rolled to Belmar with little drama, barring a flat to be changed and a chain drop.



Belmar. Yes, we were really there.









And back. We were about forty minutes out of Belmar when the rain started. The rain was dense; visibility was limited, braking was unpredictable. 

We got separated, but the rain passed, and the sun came out, and we got mostly dried off... until the rain returned.

It makes a good story, but the only part I remember as not being miserable was that the temperature was warm enough that I didn't have to worry about shivering.

Still, I'm glad I went, and got to see my bike-y friends, and have the experience with them. You can see my route and experience here.


Now, Bob N, who was on that century, had recommended that the latest incarnation of the shop in Blawenburg, at the corner of Great Road and 518, was not to be despised and might make a good stop, so I set up a route and scheduled a ride for today, June 27. Albert P and Laura had both signed up, but both were making noises like riding again today after such a demand yesterday might be too much. I was not surprised when Laura begged off.

I was floored, though, when a few minutes before the start, with a dozen others ready to go, Albert P rolled in and started setting up!

At the start:






I run a B ride that consistently comes in at a B pace; I let faster folks go ahead if they want to (and wait), and allow the other riders to keep up (or catch up). There seems to be a demand for this kind of ride.

Luis C refers to my rides as "70/30 rides", although the criterion changes: sometimes, there seems to be a headwind 70% of the time; other times (as today), we get through 70% of the ride before the stop.

At Blawenburg, getting back on the road again:


On the way back, climbing up Butler Road, I caught a rider out of the corner of my eye... it was Albert. I mentioned with some heat that he was supposed to be tired. He just kept pedaling.

Ah, to be young again.

Ride page.

No comments:

Post a Comment