Friday, March 11, 2022

ramblin' wrench

I was on a ride last week, and got to taking with one of the other riders. He uses a mechanic that used to work in a shop, but now works on his own. He'll go to your house and pick up your bike, do the work, and bring it back to you.

This is a model I can steal.

I've done work for a few people. I've had them buy parts, and either have them delivered to me, or bring the parts when they drop off the bike. I do the work, and then have them come to pick up the bike.

Today I did something different: I went to the rider's home and did the work there. 

She seemed to be grateful for the convenience, and satisfied with the service, and we discussed how the model might work for me. We discussed branding for a bit, and when I later came up with what I thought was a good idea, she did, too.

So I'm sort-of announcing the opening of Plain Jim's Ramblin' Wrench - Bike Maintenance comes to you! With the bike rack on the car and a stand in the hatch, a tool box, and a crate of sundry supplies, I can do several services right in your yard... and for things that need more time and attention, I'll pop the bike on the rack and bring it back for the work.

If you need parts, I can send you a link to buy online (and if you can find the right part, but less expensive, so much the better!). When the part comes in, if I have the bike I'll just put it on; if I have to pick up, we'll make arrangements to do so.

As for how to charge: a number of the local shops have their service menus online. I can match those prices, since, although I'll be using my own gas, I don't have to pay for real estate. (And I'm doing this partly to stay out of trouble anyway.)

I've set up an email address at ramblinwrench@gmail.com. Maybe I'll put an ad on Craigslist...

No comments:

Post a Comment