Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year's & provoking thought

New Year's is just not my holiday. I don't drink (haven't in almost 29 years; you can try to figure out if that means anything); I don't generally like parties; I'd like to be in bed by 9:00 most nights. So New Year's Eve, my wife and I went to a 6:30 dinner reservation at McCormick & Schmick's, and the next day, went to the in-laws for a cozy little family get-together that wound up with about twenty-five people, several of whom were unexpected (at least by us), and I was reminded again just how excellent my parents-in-law are, and how I got the sane sister to wive, of the four of them.

I've also spent the last three-or-so-days having my mind shaken by Taleb's Black Swan, which is messing up my ideas of causality, predictability, and certainty.

And I just found this nifty list of posts on self-delusion, which I'm mostly posting so I remember to go back to look at it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment