Monday, September 19, 2011

color my hair?

My last several posts, and the thoughts of my last several weeks, seem to be focusing on aging and mortality. I've just passed (another) man of about my age who is probably coloring his hair.

Coloring one's hair doesn't change the color or texture of the skin of the face, nor does it remove a single line.

If you're going to color your hair, pick your color carefully. Nobody is fooled by a coat of paint on rotting wood or rusted metal, especially after a while when the rot and rust continue, and cause the paint to bubble and flake.

I'm lucky to be in a field of employment where, to at least some extent, experience is respected: the new is not always the best (although many of my older compatriots become hide-bound, and I run some risk of that myself). I don't need to look younger than I am -- at least not yet.

I'm not persuaded that coloring hair makes a person look younger (although it may be because I only notice the most glaring examples of poor color choice). It's why I don't have any color in my hair in that picture from the wedding a few posts earlier. (But the grey in the hair is part of the reason I think I look so old in that picture.)

No comments:

Post a Comment