Wednesday, March 7, 2012

back pain, a windy solo 30 miles, and other complaints

Today was one of those Wednesdays off, and (hoping for inclement weather) I made an appointment for my annual physical and to have the dryer vent cleaned (a biennial requirement of the condo association - grump, grump: while it's true that the single largest cause of condo fires is dryer vents, it's also true that the raw number of such fires is pretty low, so I think it's an undue burden. But I'm on the board, and woe betide if I were the one to suggest we remove the requirement, and then there were to be a dryer-vent fire ever thereafter...). Alas, sunny and mid-60's today, so I really missed having the ride with the Old Guys this morning.

I've had back pain the past several days, and chatted with the doctor about it when I saw him. He thinks some curvature there, and has ordered a couple of X-rays, but the Excellent Wife points out the problem: suppose they find something - what are they going to do? It's neither frequent enough nor intense enough to risk back surgery (I've worked in addiction for over a quarter of a century, and I've seen plenty of back surgeries with terrible outcomes), nor am I willing to take opiates or "minor" tranquilizers. I'll probably get the X-rays, but I probably won't do much about 'em. (Other than that, I appear to be in good health. My doctor is likely afraid to recommend too many things to me, because I weigh about half of what he does.)

So after I got home, and after the dryer vent guys left (about twelve minutes after they arrived). I got this ride in. I hadn't been down to that lower part in Princeton for years, and part of it's been repaved (yay!). It includes a nice, whippy down hill along Herrontown Road. I had hoped to go up to Colonial Park in Franklin Township (see the detour-lookin' thing at the top), but the road was closed; I risked a bit of it and then chickened out (I have rarely had successful interactions with constabulary; they are not my favorite people, and they generally make it clear that I am not on their list of who to buy Christmas present for, either).

Tomorrow, back to work, visiting Burlington County.Time to go figure out where I'm spose to be goin'.

1 comment: