Tuesday, March 13, 2012

calamities of nature ends

Alas, this is the end of the Calamities of Nature comic. From the artist's accompanying blog post:
Today is my last update for Calamities of Nature. And I'll be perfectly frank about the reasons. My full-time career is in academics, and I need to put everything I have into it if I'm going to have any chance of keeping it that way. As much as I love this comic, I can't have it taking precious time away from my work. It's time to move on...

When I first started this comic, I was just excited to see my scribbles appearing on a computer screen. Then I was just trying to write a halfway decent joke. But then slowly something amazing occurred. The more niche I made the comics with respect to my own interests, the more widely people seemed to feel the comics were speaking to them. The more I tried to share my own personal world views, the more I found other people who shared many of the same ideas, interests, worries, insecurities, frustrations, and hopes. And from this I grew an audience that was more than I ever deserved. Thank you for being a part of it.

I'm sorry to see you go, Tony.

No comments:

Post a Comment