Sunday, February 10, 2013

training night pics

Regular readers, and folks who know me (are there any of you who are NOT in both groups?) may remember that I volunteered for a while at the Trenton Boys & Girls Club Bike Exchange, until I found I was spending more time commuting than actually fixing bikes.

Well, an enterprising young gentleman, with administration skills that I manifestly lack, is starting a bike exchange in New Brunswick, in my virtual back yard. This one will support the Puerto-Rican Action Board, an organization that provides a host of services at this end of Middlesex County. On Thursday night (Feb 7, 2013), there was a Mechanics Training class for volunteers; I went, as did Ed C, who's ridden with me frequently. The organizer-fellow put a few pictures up on his Facebook page, and I'm linking a few of them here.


Brian, the organizer, above in the Patagonia t-shirt.


Some of the volunteers. That gal on the left brought a nifty bike with a three-speed-internal-gear hub that baffled at least two of us when we couldn't get it to shift right.



That fellow up there, facing you in the off-white t-shirt, was schoolin' me in disk brakes for bikes. He certainly sounded like he know what he was talking about.


That red shirt-back on the left above is actually me. Do I really have a bald spot like that?


Ed C and I, teaching a young woman about the right way to put in a quick-release. We later had a discussion about chain lubes; Ed is partial to the dry-with Teflon variety, while I was holding out for Vaseline & cooking oil. (And is that a Tour de Franklin t-shirt he's got on?)

They're hoping for a grand opening next month in April, with a "soft" opening (I don't know what it means either) a bit earlier. I'm eager to get started. They're hoping for hours on Saturdays and Tuesday nights, so I suspect I'll have a regular Tuesday night date come summer.

As news arrives; I'll post it. You might want to come spin a wrench every now and again!

No comments:

Post a Comment