Wednesday, October 25, 2017

oct 25 with team social security

They call themselves "Team Social Security", but The Excellent Wife (TEW) and I call 'em the old guys, the group of mostly-retired Princeton Freewheelers who go out Mondays and Fridays from Etra, and Wednesdays from Byron Johnson Park in Allentown. I worked Sunday, so I get a day off during the week, and as I've noted before, I like to take off the Wednesday, partly for the opportunity to go on this ride.

I was gonna ride with 'em today, and then I wasn't because of bad sciatica, and then I was because it's good for me, and then I wasn't because of dysthymic inertia, and then TEW told me that I'd better, so I packed up the car and went. (On the way down, I heard of a 2-for-1 match on pledges to WNYC, so I pulled over and called, and now we're sustaining members to the tune of a few bucks a month, and some rich dude is backing our money with his.) No extra miles today; drove all the way to Allentown (and, like Saturday, started to go the wrong way at one point. Sheesh, Jim! Focus!).




Above: that's NOT the tire I expected Dennis to be paying attention to.






I was looking for Al P or Joe M to lead, but Bill B (second pic above, in the blue jacket), led this circuitous ride to Roy's. But it's not about the destination with these guys*; it's about the ride.

It was a glorious day, if a bit colder than I prepared for.




And that's it. It wasn't a dramatic day, or anything of the sort; it was a good ride with people I like, whom I don't see often enough. When the inertia sets in, I gotta remember to go anyway.



*I keep using the term "guys", when two of the ten of us on this ride are undeniably female. "Riders" sounds too legalistic. I don't have a good, non-gender-specific word. Some of the women with whom I ride would say I'm worrying about this too much. Others would disagree. I'm willing to listen to suggestions, but I'm equally willing to ignore them.

No comments:

Post a Comment