Sunday, November 5, 2017

philly bike expo 2017

Well, I said I was going to the Philly Bike Expo this weekend to see about a new helmet mirror and maybe some tape for the bars of the Krakow Monster, and maybe a lead on road bike tires since Vittoria doesn't make my plain ol' Rubino Pro's anymore; now you've gotta choose weight or flat resistance (or something; it's too complicated)...

... but I really go to see the pretty bikes, the gadgets, and the assembled bike tribes. (And as far as the assembled bike tribes go, it's becoming inescapably clear that I'm far too drab; with no facial hair, no interesting haircut, no tattoos, and no unconventional clothing, I'm not sure they'll take my admission money next year.)

Besides, the mirror gal wasn't there; nor was my favorite clothing vendor, and nobody had interesting bar tape.

Outside the hall, these young ladies were collecting for the Neighborhood Bike Works, like our Bike Exchanges on steroids: sales, teaching mechanics, providing a place to work on bikes, and for all I know, foiling bike thieves and painting bike lanes. They looked eager to do anything.


One of the first booths I stopped at was this one: many old bikes, tools, and parts:





 Above and below: restored early-20th century bike with bar-actuated brake, oversize chain, and footrests on the fork.



Below, Ergon saddles had a device to measure the distance between the "sit bones" for optimal saddle width fit. Mine came in at 13.2cm, or 132mm, and I call BS. I've sat on saddles 144mm wide and felt like I was going to be spatchcocked. I need a saddle at LEAST 150mm wide.


There's always some neat bikey weirdness. This startup has decided to mount LED's in the cap to your water bottle. If they can bring the price in right, I might go for it (the light also fits your Go-Pro mount).



On a ride yesterday, we got to discussing chainring sizes (that the size of the gear or gears attached to the pedals). Laura OLPH will give up her competition-sized 52 53-tooth chainring when they unclip her dead feet from the pedals; Tom H was riding a conventional 50x34 road compact; I've downsized to a 46x34 (smaller gears up front make it easier to pedal). Below, Velo Orange sells a 46x30, which will be easy on my tired legs when I'm older and creakier than I am now. They say they'll also sell other sizes of gears. (I get quite a bit of stuff from Velo Orange; they sell bikes and part for those of us who like to ride distance but don't want to race.)



My favorite saddles, Selle Anatomica. Ass-hammocks. No break-in needed, and good for 100-mile days. They should pay me to advertise for 'em.



Lovely parts...


...and utilitarian stuff from Twofish. He's a master at making stuff that won't fit, fit anyway.





(My boss's name is Mars; she'll get a kick out of that picture above.)



I like the Jackson Pollock drip on the bar above.






Wooden bike frames! The woman said they're about the weight of steel, and the finish is more durable than paint, because with a little steel wool and finishing oil, you can bring it back. I couldn't get enough of these.





Bike tools as jewelry: the Silca hex wrench set. Rosewood box.


Silca makes pumps that will last forever, and you can get them without a mortgage, but mortgages are available.

With all that, all I bought was some socks. It's time to get back to my local bike shop for some real stuff I'll actually use. But I do like the pretty bikes. And maybe hanging around with these people will vicariously raise my hipness quotient.

HAH! Not likely.

No comments:

Post a Comment