Saturday, November 11, 2017

cranksgiving 2017

I'm always surprised when real, actual people come out on my rides. I'm especially so when, as today, the temps were below freezing at the start time, and people were gonna hafta pay money and maybe carry stuff.

The Princeton Cranksgiving ride starts at the firehouse in Dutch Neckl, goes to the McCaffrey's on Princeton-Hightstown Road, then to a ping-pong parlor near the Princeton Junction train station, then to the Trader Joe's on Route 1 (don't worry; you don't actually RIDE on Route 1), and then back to the start. Along the way, we buy $15 worth of groceries, and either leave them with volunteers at each stop, or (as I did) carry them back to the start. The food goes to a local food kitchen. It's a 20-mile route.

I had the idea of leading some Freewheelers on it last year, and posted it on the new website this year. 20 miles didn't seem enough, so I advertised that we'd add miles from Cranbury and back, for anybody who wanted; anybody who just wanted to do the 20-mile route could meet us at the firehouse. The cold almost put me off, but I decided to go, and, as I was waiting in Cranbury for what I was sure was going to be a solo ride, in drove Joe M, and then Ricky G rolled in... and as we were rolling out, we met Tom H.






We were ridiculously early (now THERE's a surprise) and decided to take a trip to Mercer Park to see the lake.



When we got back, riders were assembling.





We met Jerry F, who lives close by, and took off on the route.

The folks at the McCaffrey's didn't know what to make of us; we were bobbling around the store looking for items (different people had different lists) and there was a certain amount of confusion, but taken in good spirit, apparently.

We started to ride to the next stop to buy socks, and Jerry was falling behind; he was on a heavy bike. He said he was near home, and so I sent the others ahead and rode with Jerry to his place, where he swapped out for his road bike and we caught up with the others.

The team at the ping-pong parlor (really? There IS such a thing?) were cheerful and polite. They agreed to this picture and laughed at my stupid jokes.



On to Trader Joe's.The planner's found us the least fatal way in, and the volunteers met us with water (not yet frozen on this chilly day) and energy bars.







Then back to the firehouse from which the ride started. Some riders had left their pickings with the volunteers at the stores, but Joe and I carried our groceries back.



Jerry and Tom went home from the firehouse. Before he left, Tom (and Joe, too) gave me some good advice about a lower-traffic route back to Cranbury... but it was a bit longer, and with the cold (and the wind, on which I had not counted), it was a quiet ride back.

Ride page.

It was a fun, inexpensive charity ride. You ought to come if it's five degrees warmer next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment