Friday, November 23, 2018

geri

My twenty-something niece, as the tribes were gathered for Thanksgiving yesterday, referred to some of her aging Floridian neighbors as "geri's". It's obviously from "geriatric", and just as obviously derogatory; when I asked if I (at 63) qualified as a geri, she said, "Maybe at 70".

I just love it. Urban Dictionary lists it, but at this writing it's down about sixth in ranking (OTOH, number one is obviously a vanity post, so the ranking system may not be ideal).

I intend to be a real, pain-in-the-ass geri to every damn millennial and Gen-Xer I meet. Get off my damn lawn!

(Actually, with all the talk, even among some of the millennials at dinner yesterday, I may be the only one in the family with hope for the future. Texting, Snapchat, Instagram, and the like included, the kids are all right. They will work out their lives, just as every generation does.)

No comments:

Post a Comment