Sunday, June 30, 2019

change of plans


(At East Mountain Road)

My listing for this ride included this:
  • Even though the weather is iffy for Sunday, I'm posting this one, because I'm working Saturday and need to get a ride in if there's any chance I can. We'll do my usual 35-mile route, at my usual barely-B pace. Leave at 8:30, from Six Mile/Blackwells Mills lot...
... but the weather turned out clear as a bell, and six of the Usual Suspects showed up: Laura OLPH,Bill B & Dr Lynne, Steve S, Bob N, and Prem R.




(Yes, that's The Excellent Wife [TEW] in the background, preparing for a solo ride.)
 




We did my usual route into Hillsborough, down to Skillman, and towards Rocky Hill...

(More at East Mountain)



... but along the way, we were complaining about the terrible service at my usual bagelry... and then somebody mentioned that there was a Thomas Sweet in the adjacent shopping center... and then Bob N rolled up and said he thought he could get us to the Thomas Sweet with minimal peril...

...and the next thing you know, we're rolling up to the Thomas Sweet.





... at which there was no wait, all kinds of goodies (muffins, croissants, &c.), coffee (apparently of some quality, although I'm a coffee Philistine who deserves to be restricted to Wawa, so my opinion is useless), Gatorade for the folks who needed it, TWO toilets instead of one, and (of all things) ice cream. At 10:30 in the morning.


That picture's the best I could manage, holding the ice cream in one hand and the camera in the other. Laura doesn't do ice cream on rides, saying it doesn't agree with her, but the only thing that didn't agree was the envy in evidence from TEW when I mentioned stopping at the Thomas Sweet.

Even Laura's husband, Professor Jack, gave his nihil obstat when she texted him about our stop at Thomas Sweet. And I admire Professor Jack more than I would ever let him know; if I have his blessing, I may never change the procedure, ever again.

So now I'm adjusting my routes to include the Thomas Sweet as a break. Bob has promised to look at the location (which is close to him) and see if there's another back way out, but even if not, there's likely to be a number of Thomas Sweet stops. Youse-all may want to consider that if you're thinking of a Sunday ride.

Ride Page.

Obligatory bike pics:




In other news, this is my tenth ride for the year, so I'm eligible for the 2019 Ride Leader Jersey. Thanks to all of you have have come on my rides this year; it's not a thing you can do alone.

In other other news, I was taken with Bill B's mirror (my Monkey Mirror has seen better days; the reflective surface is starting to flake away).


Bill's is no longer available... but Dr Lynne uses the Safety Sport Mirror that attaches to her eyeglass frame.


The owner is threatening to close it down. I've ordered two of 'em.

No comments:

Post a Comment