Friday, September 4, 2020

pre-ride checklists

I'm posting these here mostly so I can find 'em again.

I have this list posted in the garage; this is the one I use prior to loading the car if I'm driving to the ride, or as I'm suiting up if I'm leaving from home:

  • Air
  • Bags
  • Bars
  • Bottles
  • Camera
  • ¿Clipboard? (or sign-in sheet, if I'm leading)
  • Glasses
  • GPS
  • Gloves
  • Helmet
  • Mask
  • Phone
  • ¿Ring?
  • Shoes
A few notes: "Air", of course, means inflating the tires; "Bags" are the saddlebag and top-tube bag that I switch from one bike to the other (Laura OLPH swears she will never trust a clip-on bag again after a mishap years ago, but I check my clips regularly, and carry a temporary get-me-home patch in case of failure); "Bars" are the granola bars I carry for energy. The item for "Ring": my wedding ring has come close to falling off my finger on hot days when I'm wearing half-finger gloves, so I sometimes will leave it at home (see my wedding ring hack). If I'm wearing full-finger gloves, it won't be a problem.

Just prior to departing, I go over the following list, which I have memorized:
  • Air
  • Ankle (I used to wear a Road ID ankle band, which is no longer available; now it's a reminder to have identification and medical insurance cards with me)
  • Axles
  • Bags (zip 'em up)
  • Bottles
  • Brakes (close the quick-release)
  • Camera
  • Car (lock it up)
  • Cell phone
  • Computer (start the GPS)
  • Coppertone (put on sunscreen)
Pilots are in the habit of using lists. Surgeons have picked up the habit from pilots. If it's good enough for them...

No comments:

Post a Comment