Monday, June 8, 2020

cyclo-marital modification



In the midst of all this COVID-19 chaos and racial strife, I felt the need to post something that is of absolutely no importance whatsoever.

I have proven somewhat more successful at getting married than at staying married. So when it comes to staying married, if I find something that shows any sign of being effective (even if only through desire and magical thinking), I cleave to it.

My wedding ring has a tendency to looseness. At the time we bought them, the vendor persuaded me to get a larger size that what he measured, on the expectation that my finger would fatten as time progressed (a hypothesis informed, no doubt, by his experiences with customers, and certainly intuitive, given the increasing size of my fellow countrymen).

Sometimes it falls off. I remember a day at work (when I was still going in to work... Remember going to work? I wonder if I miss those days?) when I noticed it was missing; it had been found in a sink in the men's room, where I had, no doubt, dropped it while washing my hands.

It's also been loose on bike rides. Over the winter I didn't worry about it, because if it did fall off, it would be inside the finger of the full-finger gloves I wear in the cold.

But now that the hotter days are upon us, I wear short-finger gloves. And the sweat of my hands lends a certain frisson of risk to the wearing of my wedding ring on a ride. It's a risk I'd rather not take, so I've taken to removing the ring before bike rides on which I wear the short-finger gloves.

But I like the reminder that I was able to persuade someone to share her fortunes with me, even if it was all that time ago. So I've modified a pair of my cycling gloves as shown in the picture at the top of this post. On the ring finger of the left hand, I've knotted in some gold yarn to stand in for the absent wedding ring.

I don't know if that's having any effect on the actual marriage. But I'm hardly an expert in this regard, and I'm unwilling to sabotage anything that might be effective, even if the rationale is thin.

No comments:

Post a Comment