Sunday, June 7, 2020

first freewheeler ride after covid-19 restrictions lifted.






Today's was the first ride I led after the listing of the COVID-19 restrictions by the Princeton Freewheelers. Some things worked, and some things didn't.

Things that didn't work:
  • Despite my reconnaissance last week, the porta-potties at the park on Amsterdam Ave and the ones at Vet's Park in Montgomery were all gone.
  • Two riders did not appear to have masks at all. One was not a member. I have contacted the other and asked that rider to be sure to have a mask on future PFW rides until the COVID-19 special rules are lifted.
  • I heard from a source (I did not hear the rider say this myself) that another rider said that s/he had lost taste for a while, ten days before today's ride. It is not clear that this is a COVID-19 symptom, but it is suspicious. The rider and the listener were maintaining social distance, and both were wearing masks. (Edit 6/9/20: I have subsequently learned that the rider who reported losing taste was not masked at the time, although had worn one earlier.)
Things that worked:
  • Especially in view of the unavailability of toilet facilities or places to buy food, the shorter route (30 miles) appears to have been a good decision. (My ride was longer, but it includes my rides to and from home, and some more reconnaissance.) 
  • The members on the ride, in general, were glad to see one another, and did appear to adhere to the special COVID-19 rules, except as noted above.
  • One member, new to me, came out; it appeared he enjoyed the ride and may come back. 
  • Another who has been an occasional rider may develop into a Usual Suspect; she is also being prospected as a candidate for Hill Sluggishness.
  • Even though it weighs north of 30lbs, the Krakow Monster, in its new incarnation as a monstercross bike, did pretty well today. I'll have a harder time trying to use the weight of the bike as my excuse on a slow day after today's ride.
To remember:
  • Access to parking at the Blackwells Mills/Six Mile lot is still blocked by piles of gravel. The porta-potty has been removed from there, as well.
  • The Philly Pretzel Factory store in Montgomery... the last local one, as far as I know... appears to have closed for good. I know it's only salted white flour... but I liked it as a recovery junk food after rides.  
I do intend to continue listing Club rides (I know other leaders are deciding not to do so), but I intend to be a bit less forgiving for the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment