Saturday, June 6, 2020

round valley the short way


Tom H invited a few of us on a ride today that was gonna be up to the Round Valley Reservoir from Hillsborough, either a little over 50 miles or a little over 40 (he'd plotted two routes). The sense of the meeting was to go with the shorter (if more scenic) of the two.

We gathered, observing social-distancing rules, at Woodfield Park.





We headed off through what I later recognized as some of the same roads I lead through on some of my rides. Perhaps my navigational hopelessness is fading.

We headed toward the bridge at Neshanic, where Laura OLPH called for a photo stop.




And then we went up to Round Valley, passing the Stanton General Store, and heading up.


Just before the climb started,I saw this neat barn with the logs in front.


We huffed an puffed our way up to the reservoir, to see...


We could get to the boat launch,but we wouldn't be able to proceed along the road at the top of the reservoir. We pulled into the boat launch area for a rest stop (the toilets were open!).




The reservoir still hasn't recovered from the drought from a few years ago. The far boat lunch, in the upper left of this photo, is still far away from the water.


After the break, we dropped to route 22 to get back on out original route (there was a wide shoulder; it sounds worse than it turned out to be). Soon we were back toTom's original route.



Tom & Laura appear to have a rule that if you're that close to Solberg Airport, you have to stop in.




By that time, we were only about 12 miles from the end. I'm sure it was a tailwind that blew me the rest of the way in, because I should be far more tired than I am.

Some of the gang were discussing the re-opening of Freewheeler rides, concerned about adherence to social distancing rules and the like. I've got a ride scheduled for tomorrow; let's see how that goes.

Ride page.

No comments:

Post a Comment