Sunday, August 30, 2020

ride on a beautiful day

For the last Sundy of the month, I usually post a C+ rated ride (instead of the B-rated rides I usually lead); I started on the theory that The Excellent Wife (TEW) could come along on some of the rides that I lead, but then we had a disagreement about how fast the rides were actually going and she didn't want to come. I kept leading the C+ rides because I liked the people I met on 'em, but TEW wasn't coming.

Things have changed, however, and for today's ride, TEW agreed to come along (it doesn't hurt that she's seen the pace of my last few end-of-the-month rides, and knows she can keep up). Also along came Alan & Gale C, Andrew A (whom I've not seen since I don't know when; he's been off bike-camping on his own), Rob N, and Ed K, who's the founder of the Bicycle New Jersey Facebook page (he's made me a moderator, but with the limits I'm imposing on my Facebook use, I'm doing little in support these days...). Ed had something come up and couldn't ride with us from the start, although he did meet us at the stop and rode with us for a bit thereafter.




Also along can Juan R, a Princeton student, who had a new (and unfamiliar) bike, and who said he was not used to riding in groups.


(He did fine. Several of us spent much of the first part of the ride using our wiles to try to persuade him to join the club).




We did this route (OK, that one includes my ride to and from, but it was MOSTLY that route). I apologized for the long out-and-back on 518 Hopewell-Rocky Hill Road, but I'm trying to manage some variety from that start location, and miss the hills that are on both sides (one of my occasional riders will happily tell you how I nearly killed her by taking her on Provinceline Road last summer when the 518 bridge was out).

We got to the Boro Bean, apparently about fifteen minutes after every other rider in Central Jersey did. We opted not to get drinks or snacks there, as the line was just too long (although the toilet did see some use). Gale mentioned a social engagement and left from there, although Alan came back with us to pick up his car.



Much better picture of Juan, despite the mask.



Juan went home at Great Road (his bike is hi primary transportation right now), Ed headed for Rocky Hill when Alan, TEW and I headed back up towards Montgomery - and then when I called for a turn onto Butler Road, TEW exclaimed, "Oh, no!" and continued up Canal Road to Suydam and back to the school where the car was; she's convinced that her way has fewer hills.

She is undoubtedly right. I know better than to disagree.

No comments:

Post a Comment