Saturday, August 1, 2020

recovered enough to lead

You may already have heard that Laura OLPH was in a bike accident this week; it killed one of her bikes and left her person a bit the worse for wear... so when she dropped hints that she was going to lead a ride today, I was all in support. I wanted to be along to make sure everything was OK (although I don't know what I would have done if anything were not).

She listed a fifty-ish mile ride out of Mercer Park East, and when I got there, I saw that people were also gathering for one of Sue M's rides.






Shortly, Laura's crew came driving or rolling in.




Peter G and his daughter Sarah, Tom H, Bob N, Ricky G, Jack H, and Peter R. We went rolling off towards New Egypt.






We climbed that benighted section of Roosevelt Ave to get into the Assunpink (although climbing is better than descending), and stopped by one of the parking areas for pictures.


Damn geese. We need some wolves.



We stopped at Charleston Coffee, which was open (yaaaay!), and had toilets available.



Most of the gang found a place to hang out in the shade.



Laura told us about her crash. You can see from her post that the bike is totaled; you can't see that she's got a bit of road rash, and the most dangerous-looking ecchymosis around her eye, probably caused by the glasses she'd been wearing. I certainly wouldn't call her lucky after having been in the crash, but it might have been worse.

We proceeded home. We rode at a fairly fast pace for this crew; one appeared to be tiring, so we made sure none rode alone. The ride page shows I had an average of 16mph, and I think others might have been faster. We were strong today.

I'm sorry for Laura's bike (it as one of her excellent ones), but I'm glad she was better enough to lead. I'm glad I could go along.

No comments:

Post a Comment