Sunday, August 23, 2020

weekend rides aug 22-23

Edit 8/23/20 2:25pm: I just remembered some coolness from Eric H on today's ride; see below.Also, I called Eric "Ed" throughout, and just went through to correct.

Tom H invited a few of us on a flat ride this weekend; it looked like this. Jack H, Laura OLPH, and I met at Tom's house. From there, we ride to Cranbury Village Park.




We went to see who was going on Peter F's and Winter Larry's rides, and to pick up Ricky G.






Although it was humid, the heat wasn't bad. We zipped around Tom's fairly flat route.

The stop came late in the ride; we stopped at a Wawa near route 33. Most of those pictures didn't come out, but this one, of a sign that caught my attention, did:


What other purpose are you gonna use those premises for?

On the way back, we caught up with Larry's ride again.



We decided not to go back to Cranbury; Ricky went off on his own and we headed back to Tom's.



For today, I had a ride listed for the Princeton Freewheelers, to do a route I'd done a month or so ago; I had few takers and was gonna cancel... and then Laura, Dave H, Eric H (a club newbie), and Sophie T signed up. Sophie didn't appear, and Laura and Dave said they'd meet us along the way, but Eric was there at the start. We rolled over to Blackwells Mills/Six Mile to get Laura, and then up to Amsterdam Ave... where one of the long-missing porta-potties has been replaced.


Eric took the stop in good spirits.


This wasn't Eric's longest ride, but it WAS his first club ride, so I tried to ensure that he felt welcome and will come back (we can get back to our usual petty catfighting at some future date).

Eric and I got to talking about bike maintenance. He'd had a problem with his cables that was fixed at Kim's Bike Shop, and I bent his ear about parts, tools, shops, and the like. I stopped before his eyes glazed over completely.

Now, the GPS turned itself off TWICE on this ride, so I did what I could to keep it going, and eventually had to stop the navigation (I knew the route anyway).

The route is linked here.

Edit to insert cool quote: There were a couple of points during the ride when we felt droplets that COULD NOT have been rain. We discussed what might be happening, and Eric said, "Mountain sweat". From now on, such droplets will forever be "mountain sweat" to me.

We picked up Dave in Hillsborough, and continued along, until we got to the stop at Thomas Sweet.





At that point, Laura and Dave rolled off; Eric and I headed towards home. He lives close; he may be the only person in the club who lives closer to that Claremont School start than I do. And he SAID he'd be back out on club rides; I hope to see him again.

And when I plugged in the bike GPS to upload the route... it gave up the ghost. It won't turn on. I can't even do a factory reset.

Oh, well. Research and shopping is in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment