Friday, April 16, 2021

frock coat

 Almost twenty years ago, I worked with a woman who had a black suit that consisted of loose-fitting trousers and a knee-length blazer. I don't give a damn about the trousers, but I have been low-key jealous of that jacket for nearly two decades. 

I got the sewing machine specifically to alter bike jerseys, and then to make my own. But I've been altering other clothes, and I made a vest for myself... and I got to thinking about that jacket. So I did some research, and went looking for patterns.

I found this one:


... but that wasn't quite it. Neither was this:

Nor was this:

This, below, was more like it:


The pattern includes the vest, trousers, and tie, about which I don't give a damn... and I don't want the contrasting lapels, but I can just make them up out of the same fabric as the coat body. It will look like a modern blazer with long skirts, which is what I intend.

So I popped for the pattern, and I've been reading through it and learning the theory of how it goes together (for example, you make the entire lining and the entire outer separately, then you sew them together with the insides facing out starting at the collar, and then you turn the whole assembly right-side-out through the bottom hem, which you then sew up to close). 

Today I cut out all the pattern pieces; below you can see about two-thirds of 'em, adjusted to my size:

 


I'm thinking of a dark-grey main fabric (darker than the photo on the pattern envelope, but not quite black), and a deep teal lining. Laura OLPH has taken to calling it a "Dr. Who" coat.


Almost...

(The pattern doesn't include inside pockets, but mine will.)

1 comment:

  1. Skipping the idiot & the gun ... if you start wearing funny clothing on bike rides no one is going to ride with you. ;-)
    If you you go for the powdered wig, we'll have you commited. Powdered doughnuts are okay, powdered wigs are bound to have an exhaust trail.

    ReplyDelete