Tuesday, May 25, 2021

frock coat progress

 You can read here about the inspiration for it, and here about making the mockup. I bought the fabric about three weeks ago, and cut it about a week later... and then I was too nervous to start it, because it's WAY beyond my sewing capability, and then we went on vacation. But since I've been back, I've been working on sewing up that frock coat.

The shell of the main body. The lapels aren't finished, nor the collar, and the bottom's not hemmed yet; it will be about an inch shorter.


The main body lining. It's bridal satin: heavier than the usual taffeta lining, and not bad to work with (it's about the color of orange sherbet, and I love it). I added the inside pockets (the pattern didn't include them), because what's a men's jacket without inside pockets? (The answer, frequently, is "a women's jacket".) I really messed up on those inside pockets: they'll hold together, but I'm glad nobody's going to see this work. Correcting those inside pockets is one of the things I'll do differently if I do it again.

I'll probably do it again. I'm a much better bicycle mechanic than seamster.

The jacket is made with a number of different panels, and I didn't get them a even to start, so I cut some panels apart and reassembled them to get it right. That's another thing I'll do better when I do it again.

Next project is the sleeves. I know from experience that making the sleeves is only a little challenging, but setting them into the shoulders without tucks and inadvertent pleats is much more so. I'll do the lining sleeves first, and (I hope) learn on those. The jacket fabric is light enough that I'll definitely want to add sleeve heads.

I've had the sewing machine about five months, and I'm doing this. One one side, I really suck; I'm the most arrant beginner. On the other side, I'm making up a jacket, and adjusting the pattern to my wants. I'm simultaneously embarrassed and impressed with myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment