Wednesday, December 29, 2010

back pain

I'm 55 years old, which means that all my parts are 55 years old. Which is why, after moving about 2 tons of snow on Monday (say a shovelful every 15 seconds, at an average weight of, say, 16 lbs., over the course of so much time...), my back has been giving me pain.

It was actually worse Tuesday night into this morning than it was before; I could barely get out of bed in the middle of the night. Luckily, I have today off, and I've been sitting on the heating pad and sucking down Naprosyn (couldn't find a refill in the stores today, so I've got ibuprofen for a backup). My wife will tell you I hate taking pills (I had a bit of a problem with drugs and alcohol between the mid-70's & mid-80's, and I don't want to risk a relapse, even after 27 years of recovery), but this has been enough to make me take 'em regularly.

It's worst first thing in the morning after not moving all night. I may take to leaving a water bottle and some pills at my bedside... although the med's take a long time (like, dozens of minutes) to kick in. And I may get that picturesque cane out of storage.

I've gained a couple of pounds since the beginning of the month. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

No comments:

Post a Comment