Thursday, October 6, 2011

cat poem

I've heard from two people recently who are checking in on this blog - which means I've gotta be careful; people are actually looking at it! It also means I feel a certain responsibility for regular updates... and nothing exciting is coming to mind. So I'm pulling out an item from my old bag of tricks.

One of the new followers is a cat person. I'm not; I don't dislike them, but there's something just the littlest bit off-putting about cats. (And the excellent wife is allergic.)

Ages ago, I found the graphic below. I was taken by the image-forming of the poem (like George Herbert's Easter Wings), and by the density of the rhymes and assonances in the poem (hey, it's by the same Tolkien who brought us the Middle-Earth novels; it's a safe bet he knows what he's doing when it comes to language), but I also like the little frisson of unease in the sentiment - "...he does not forget."


I don't remember where I got it. But it's way cool.

2 comments: