Friday, March 29, 2013

early season old guys ride

Today is Good Friday, and that's a holiday for many here in Central Jersey. The predicted weather was good for a ride, but, taking no chances, Old Guys Leader Dennis W sent out an email blast last night (after your correspondent was abed) pushing the time back from 9 to 10:30. By that time, the temps were above 40F; I could get away with only three layers instead of my usual four, and by the ride home, I had take off my full-finger gloves and my inner layer was soggy.

I was up early, as I usually am,and improved upon the time by driving out to Cranbury to make sure I finally got this route down (I intend to use if for one of my "D" rides this summer). For some reason, I could not find the turn onto Union Valley Road; I finally decided to ride part of the route backwards to see where it came out. That did the trick; now I can do the route. (I'm really not kidding when I say I can get lost in the living room if someone rearranges the furniture.)

After that, I parked in Cranbury, and rode the seven-or-so miles to the regular ride start at Etra. I was running behind, and I did that part at an average of about 18.5mph, impressing leader Dennis W, who passed me in his SUV on the way to the park ("Was that you I passed? How fast were you going, 35?"). At the start, riders just kept coming in, until there were 22 of us at the time we left. Some I had not seen since last year, and at least two had stories of new (to me) health problems they were dealing with.

We did this route. Leader Dennis, taking into account the winds (as other leaders who start rides in that area don't always), led us into the wind for the early part of the ride, so we went up to Pierre's (which is only a short distance from my house), and we were not far from where I parked in Cranbury in either direction.

It was clear that for some of the guys, this was an early-season ride, and they didn't have their bike legs yet. While many appeared to have maintained good shape over the winter, some started strong and tired out; others were lagging from the start. I did my self-appointed sweep duty, and made sure everybody got to Georges Road, where they could get to Pierre's... then I "burned some sugar" and zipped ahead.

Shortly after we left the stop, Al L got a flat in his tubular tire. Every time I see Al try to change a tire, I'm reminded of why I don't want to ride tubulars; today was no exception. It took four of us to get the tire off the wheel (Q: "How many Freewheelers does it take to change a tire?" A: "How many have you got?"). Al said this was a function of the low ambient temperature... all I know is that I'm the worst tire changer I know, and I can do my clinchers better than he did that tubular.

Then back to Etra. I stayed behind with a rider who was lagging. We got separated from the group (we found two who told me to tell Dennis they were leaving the ride), and took the straight route back; we got into Etra before some of the main group, who had taken a longer route. I said my goodbyes, and rode back to Cranbury -- but, hungry and tired (I'd had only coffee at the stop), and into the wind, I didn't go anywhere near as quickly back to Cranbury as I had come, on my own, earlier.

OK. Bike clothes are in the dryer, and I'm looking forward to the Chocolate Bunny Ride tomorrow. I wanna see about that "extra milers bunny" (oh, go check out the link).


No comments:

Post a Comment