Sunday, March 24, 2013

palm sunday slow ride with winter larry

After fighting the wind yesterday, I didn't have legs enough to add extra miles to Winter Larry's scheduled ride today (although I did reconnoiter a route that will probably become a D ride over the summer). I got to the start to meet seven, then eight, then ten others... and no Larry! Peter F started a ride sheet in case Larry didn't show, but before the third rider could sign, Larry drove in, a bit late and apologetic for his tardiness.

Twelve of us total: besides Larry, Peter, and me, there were John & Jane D, Ron S, Mark H, Dave H, Phil, Bob, and two who are new to me, Alex and Fran. We did this route. I call it a slow ride, but I remember now that we started at a great fast pace, then some slowed down, surely from politeness (it couldn't be that, this early in the season, we didn't have the stuff to keep the pace up!). Still, there were a couple of nifty roads towards the bottom of the route where the newbie, Alex, and I were swapping paces (he was STRONG! But he was not fiercely competitive; just enough to keep it interesting, and we really did pace each other for a while).

We stopped at a Dunkin' Donuts, and John D got a work-related call, and he and Jane dropped off the ride, so we were down to ten... for about two stop signs, when up behind us come John and Jane! John was evidently able to manage the situation enough by phone to complete the ride.

We were definitely slower on the way back; some of our number were lagging (one had fallen [though he didn't seem to hurt himself badly]; another complained of a hard ride yesterday - and I know the name of THAT tune!). The new Bob and I each took a turn sweeping on the way back (I remember him from a Hill Slugs ride a few months ago - thanks for taking the sweep turn!), but our speed on the return was far slower than on the way out. Larry revised his route to minimize the wind, and I think it helped.

No ride next Sunday; about 10% because it's Easter, and about 90% because The Excellent Father-In-Law is celebrating his 89th birthday. As much as I like to ride, that birthday trumps!


2 comments:

  1. I wish I could have gone with you guys, but I'm stuck in DE with in-laws, bored out of my skull. Bored, bored, BORED! So bored that the most interesting thing to do is to watch (and sort of help) Jack install a new computer for his mom. BORED, BORED, BORED!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, the lead group kept a fast pace on the way back and we would have loved to have had you as part of the train!

    ReplyDelete