Friday, March 8, 2013

you think you're fast?


That thigh-chopping chainring is on a bike that went over 200kph (127 mph). It's got 130 teeth, and 15 on the rear gear.  This guy rode it on the Autobahn in 1962:


He couldn't get the bike moving from a standing start; he needed to be pushed by a motorcycle, and when he got up to speed, he was drafting a car with a custom fairing to break the headwind:


There is just no end to the excellence in this story. He carried this note in his pocket to be found if he was killed in the attempt:

In case of fatal accident, I beg of the spectators not to feel sorry for me. I am a poor man, an orphan since the age of eleven, and I have suffered much. Death holds no terror for me. This record attempt is my way of expressing myself. If the doctors can do no more for me, please bury me by the side of the road where I have fallen.

One tech note (just one, I promise): the curve of the fork is backwards, so the bike has negative trail, providing less stability, but more maneuverability.  I'm not sure which you need more at that speed (and I'm not likely to find out).

Oh, and weight-weenies? That contraption weighs about 45 lbs.

From Grist, also Bikehugger, and this private archive. Originally sent to me by Laura OLPH, who's too sensible to post it herself.

1 comment: