Saturday, March 2, 2019

mom had a fall

My mother lives an a senior living facility near Buffalo, NY, a few miles away from my sister. Mom had a fall last weekend; was on the floor alone, bleeding, and dehydrated for a few hours; wound up in the ICU, then to hospital, then to a rehab facility (it sounds like a real rehab facility, not a fictitious title for a nursing home).

Sister wasn't sure mom was going to come out OK, and was making plans to empty apartment and move mom to senior care, but mom has cleared some (memory and disorientation problems), and now it's not clear what she's gonna need. Or do.

There was some wackiness about mom's taxes. Sister gets all anxious about anything financial, so she had me call the accountant (not like there's much I can do from Central Jersey). Accountant told me about stuff to collect, and my sister found much of it in mom's apartment, so sister's feeling better about that.

I've not called mom or tried to speak to her. I completely forgot about flowers yesterday (mom's been moving around so much I couldn't plan on anything before that) and I have an alarm in the phone to remind me today.

My relationship with mom is a bit fraught with guilt and disappointment, and I've been oversensitive. When my sister thought mom might be dying, there was friction between me and The Excellent Wife (TEW), which has passed, and I find myself a bit edgy when I talk to my sister.

No ride today because of the snow, and I'm working tomorrow. There's some feeling of too-many-balls-in-the-air, and I'll be glad if I can return to some normality and routine. (And seeing some friends wouldn't hurt, either.)


No comments:

Post a Comment