Sunday, March 17, 2019

st pat's day ride

After all of the trouble going on with my mother, both The Excellent Wife (TEW) and I agreed that a ride today would be A Good Thing. The only ride listed at the time I looked was Steve S's C+ ride, advertised at 35-45 miles. I signed up to go and figured I could add a few miles by parking in Plainsboro and riding to Cranbury.
 

I got to Plainsboro stupidly early, and rode a circuitous route that doubles the usual four-mile distance, and then rolled around until a few others showed up at the start.






Chris is rockin' those four-leaf-shamrock tights, ain't he?



Steve is one of the few leaders in my experience at Cranbury to take advantage of the fact that the wind regularly comes from the west; he led us on a route that went westward into the wind to start, so that we could have a tailwind on the way back. That almost makes up for the fact that he underestimated the hills on this route. (Tom H, are you reading this? There's more coming; you may have a protégé.)

But the bridge at Alexander Road was closed to vehicle traffic.


The sidewalk was open, though, and we continued. (Tom? Did you get together with Steve and plan this?)

Steve had warned us about the hill on Alexander Road, but he missed the info about the climb on Cherry Hill. One of our number was recently recovering from a respiratory ailment; had trouble on the hills and was thinking of turning back. Eddie L, sweep, and a few others ran in for cheerleading duty to ensure she knew she could make it. (She did.)

We rolled around until we got to the bagel place on Route 27 near the Kendall Park post office (about two miles from my house!)





And then back, through roads I have lived near for almost twenty years and never ridden on. Some of the crossings were a bit hairy, but the roads were great, and I gotta see if I can find 'em again. (I'll be more likely to if I take a look at the ride page... which includes my twelve-or-so-mile ride in and my four-mile ride back.)

Here's hoping you're having as happy a celebration as I. Erin go Bragh, and suchlike. Go read some Yeats or James Joyce, or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment