Wednesday, March 6, 2019

mom's not going home

After her fall last week, mom spent a day in ICU, and another day or two in the hospital, and is now in a rehab facility, and the plan is for her to go to an elder-care assisted-living facility, because it's unlikely that she's going to be able to live on her own anymore. Phone calls to her have been brief (she doesn't seem to want to talk very long); her spirits are down (she's making references to dying and "being with her relatives").

My sister is looking at a facility for her to go to. We're hacking out my mother's financials (not easy when we're separated by hundreds of miles).

The Excellent Wife (TEW) and I are arguing; she doesn't understand how I can appear so stiff-upper-lip about mother's condition, and I think every suggestion she makes is another reference to how I've failed my mother. That last part, of course, is my problem, not hers, except insofar as I take it out on her.

I worked Sunday and am off today. I have rarely needed a day off as much as I have needed today. My supervisor's father is likely dying, so there's both tenderness there, as well as concern (what if we both need to be out at the same time?).

Life, and death, are complicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment