Monday, October 21, 2019

wearing a tie to the bank

I am never going into a bank building again without a tie on.

I wear a blazer-and-tie to work every day, because that way I can wear my cheap, decade-old shirts and my Dickies work pants, and nobody notices (I also spend minimal energy deciding what to wear for work: white shirt, khakis, the-next-tie-in-the-rotation). I had to get a medallion signature on a document for one of my retirement plans (it's like getting notarized, but it's finance-industry specific -- does everybody know that but me?), so I called up to find out what I needed to do, and brought in the appropriate documents. I went straight after work, so I was still appareled in my rags-and-mufti as I described it.

Well, instead of the usual benign-ignore treatment, I got a number of hello's and a "Be right with you sir", and they were right with me. I was shown in to see the officer who does the medallion signature (it's quite a deal, apparently; there are only two staffers in the branch authorized to do it), and, when there was a minor error on the form, the officer downloaded a new page and filled it out in front of me. Her phone rang, and she asked my permission before she answered it. I left with the requisite signature, and a new appreciation for the modern benefits of an outmoded style of dress.

After I retire (which I'm currently planning for two years, seven months, and six days from the time of this writing) I may look for excuses to put on the tie. If you see a geezer with a tie on in the produce section hefting oranges, stop in and say hello; that'll likely be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment