Thursday, October 31, 2019

servicing the steerer

When I did the annual breakdown last week, I noticed that the headset bearing needed attention. I underestimated the problem.


At upper left, with the reddish side seal, is the new bearing; at upper right, with the blue-black side seal, is the upper bearing that is being replaced. They're sealed bearings, and are supposed to be taken out in a single piece.

Beneath, in five pieces, as well as a few loose balls, are the remains of what was the lower bearing.

The new ones are Cane Creek's top of the line Hellbender bearings, sold with their high-end headsets. Here's hoping they last (although ten years of the use that I put the last bearings to, might be a reasonable lifetime. I rode the bejabbers out of 'em.) Below, the new lower bearing on the steering tube.







The upper bearing cup, ready for the bearing to be inserted.


The new upper bearing in place.






The steering tube inserted, and the blue angle spacer about to be lowered into position, and beneath, the angle spacer in place.



The top cap of the headset is on, and the stack spacers. Above these, the stem that holds the handlebar is put in place and tightened; that holds the fork to the frame.

It's neatly adjusted so there's no play, but the steering is easy. Nice work, if I do say so myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment