Saturday, November 2, 2019

plain jim goes to the philly bike expo


It's not true that the only reason I went to the Philly Bike Expo this year was to talk to this builder (and I didn't get the opportunity)...





... but I did get her card, and I do love that frame, with the sculpted dropouts, the rococo lug work, and the over-the-top anodization (even the COGSET, for heaven's sake). On her website, she suggests sending an email, and I'm just smitten enough to do it. Who knows? I'm retiring in a couple years, and maybe this will be my outlandish, over-the-top purchase before I do. (I'm going to build it up with my own wheels and mechanicals anyway, and I won't have to put up with internal cable routing or disk brakes if I don't wanna, right?) Besides, she's got a great look, herself.



The website said they opened at 9 so I was there shortly thereafter... not knowing that 9 was for industry insiders only (I didn't see that anywhere). After I got a little huffy (unusual for me), they let me in anyway. I have a bone to Pick with Selle Anatomica, so I walked around a bit to cool off before dropping in there.

Bicycle art:




I got some too-expensive notecards from this one:



I was taken by the use of sequins and costume jewels:



So I decided to drop in on Selle Anatomica. I use one of their saddles; it's the best thing for me that I've tried (and I've tried a lot!). It's leather, and needs some protection from the weather, so when I heard after last year's Expo that they were making a saddle with rubber instead, I pre-ordered. That was a year to the day from today's show. I brought out a copy of my credit card statement and waved it in front of Carol at their booth, intending to exercise some high dudgeon (pardon the terrible quality of the picture):


Well, with just the right combination of charm and patience, Carol told me of their woes with the manufacturing and ordering processes, and assured me that orders that I had been led to believe had shipped, had not, and that I was still on the list for the first to go out. The saddles are in and assembled, except for one part that needs adjustment and replacing; they hope to ship in two weeks.

I'm mollified.

There are a lot of bikes.







And trikes. Recumbent, of all things.



And accessories of all types, but some of these pictures I got because of the excellent characters making and selling the products.




I'm a sucker for beautiful machine work. These companies make great parts that I'll never buy, but they are simply beautiful.






One of the vendors I DID want to see was HipLok. They make all manner of bicycle security stuff... but the thing I'd seen online that nailed me was, essentially a steel-reinforced zip tie with a quick-release key (they also have a combination model).


It's not for all-day security, but it looks like just the thing for a quick run into a shop, when you don't want someone just jumping onto your bike and riding away. It will slow someone down for a few minutes, maybe, or make them move on to the next bike. They're light and fit into a pocket. I got a couple, and The Excellent Wife (TEW) has already hooked one. I may need to get more.

And, of course, socks. I got two pair.



If I can't collect bikes, I can collect socks.

One exhibitor had a display of neat old bikes. An early recumbent:






A Rene Herse!



...and what I'm sure is a new bike made to look old.


Because of Ricky G's Cinelli project, I had to get these pictures:



E-bikes are a happenin' thing, and may be a consideration for my transport needs as I age. Shimano had their version out...


...and this Alizeti has a system that can be added to almost any bike that can take a rear rack (and you can still use the rear rack!).


I've got to talk to TEW about these for when we go to a one-car family.

More stuff:


This guy below is making bike bag and stuff out of recycled signage. Can you see that under-the-downtube splash guard that's made of a corrugated plastic sign? Ugly, but ingenious.





The woman below goes by the name "A Quick Brown Fox".  She's on a mission to bring diversity to bicycle racing, and she's doing it in the best way possible: by scoring well.



And, of course, lunch at the Reading Terminal Market. Well, it's not like I'm gonna get that close and not stop in, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment