Tuesday, November 5, 2019

gettin' real about a custom bike

In my last post, I waxed rhapsodic about a Pedalino bike frame that's just the loveliest I've ever seen close up.



I seriously considered contacting the builder... and then decided not to.

I'm not wealthy enough.

I suppose I could afford to have the frame made. But then a few things would follow:
  • I'd probably go cheap on the components. The amount I'd spent on the frame would make me feel like I was being too extravagant, and I'd find other ways to cheapen the bike, and I'd wind up dissatisfied.
  • I'd probably never ride it. I'd be too afraid of damaging the perfection. I wouldn't have enough to build it back up if it were damaged, so I'd try to protect it by not using it... and where's the joy in that?
The Yellow Maserati is a workaday bike. It's not the prettiest, or the lightest. It fits me; I can play with parts and accessories on it (which is what I really like to do); I ride the hell out of it. (I made up a cyclocross bike a few years ago. I've ridden that one a bunch of times, but I like it so much less than the Yellow Maserati that I might as well not have it at all.)

I may build up another bike. But if I do, I'll probably do what a few friends have done: get a pretty, production frame (rather than a custom) and build it up with parts I like (or already have). And that will be enough.

It's time to be honest about who I am and what I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment