Saturday, January 11, 2020

a fine spring day in january


So do you know what happens when you get a day in January that turns out sunny and almost 60°F?

What happens is, Tom H lists a ride, and eleven people come out to do it.



A group that big is unwieldy, so I took Tom's offer and swept today.

I got to the start at the Reed Recreation Area a bit early, and met Jack H and Chris C, and ducked out to Stonebridge for a quick supplementary bagel (and to see if the clothing I had was going to be too much. It was; I ditched a layer before we started).

We headed out towards the Assunpink, and went down the dreaded Rochdale Avenue. On the way down, I got a case of the shimmy that was so destructive to Jack H on Federal Twist two or three years ago... luckily, the road leveled out and I slowed down out of it before I had any dire consequences. I'm sure I was just panicked, and couldn't think what to do when it was happening!

After that, the ride went without incident for me. Ron A, of the beautiful bikes...


... and I got to talking about weight management and a number of other topics. I was able not to drool on that lovely Hanford. (He's got a carbon bike... but why would you ride that when you have such other hardware as he does?)

The day was windy, and Tom tried to keep us into the wind on the first part of the ride, on the theory that we'd have a tailwind on the way back. Several of us were tired, and welcomed the break when we got to Charleston Coffee.







The double-chocolate crumb cake is not the only reason I like Charleston Coffee...


...but it doesn't hurt.

I had to get this picture of The Other Dave's excellent shoes:





If his phone ever loses charge, he can use that high-voltage footwear to charge it right up again.


Bike pics:





Unfortunately, in a best-laid schemes o' mice and men ganging aft agley situation, the wind WASN'T at our backs all the way home when we left, and some of us aren't in the shape we're in by, say, July. 'Nuff said.

On the way back, Ricky found a pothole...


...and changed his tire before an audience that was appreciative, if bovine:




I'm not sure they appreciated his finesse, virtuosity, or speed in the endeavor.

I had a great day. I hope you did, too.

Ride page.

No comments:

Post a Comment