Saturday, January 11, 2020

work healthy-habits support group

I'm posting this here just as a reminder: a few of my work companions have started a healthy-habits group. We're offering each other support (and maybe challenge), and we're NOT doing the contest we did last year (which, I think, supported some unhealthy behaviors suspected in one of the participants).

On the hypothesis that we pick up the habits of the people with whom we associate (for which there is some evidence... the linked articles aren't proof, but they're thought-provoking), I think it's a good idea. It's why I continue to go to my WW meetings, even though I don't want to lose any more weight. In fact, check out the graph below:


Back beginning in 2009, I lost a bunch of weight... and then over the course of the following decade, I put most of it back. Over the past year, on the WW program as I've adapted it, I've lost weight again, but now I want to do what it takes to keep it off. Continuing with WW is part of that...

...and I hope support from my work companions will be another part, at least until I retire (in two years, four months, and sixteen days, as I write this).

The work support is already helping. The communal junk-food location has been a bookshelf just outside my cubicle; when I mentioned what a temptation it was, one of the women in the group moved all the stuff to another location. It's a few more steps away, and I can't go indulge as surreptitiously as earlier I could.

I like to "button up" these posts with some kind of end statement, and I can't think of anything. We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment