Saturday, March 7, 2020

explaining my life

From the article:

But it’s the human angle of the harbinger research that most intrigues her. “It resonates with so many people,” Professor Tucker says. “Everyone knows that one person. Or they are that person. And for them I’ve suddenly explained their life.”

An article entitled "Are You an Anti-Influencer?" appeared in my feed this morning, and it explains a lot of my preferences that don't do well commercially.

Apparently, there's a type, that tends to live in certain zip codes (and if we move, we move to zip codes with others of the type). While there are not a lot of characteristics that specifically distinguish us, this quote says something that resonates:

Perhaps, Professor Tucker suggests, harbingers are simply on a different wavelength from the rest of us. "I think what we’re picking up on is that there are just some people who, for whatever reason, have consistently nonmajority tastes," she says, noting that in addition to buying short-lived products, harbingers buy a lot of niche items. "They like that odd house. That political candidate everyone else finds off-putting. They like Watermelon Oreos."

Now, the mere idea of Watermelon Oreos makes my skin crawl, and I'm still wearing white shirts for work that I bought in 2005 (and yes, I have a way of checking), but I will plead guilty to the niche items... like those Gevenalle shifters I like that I've never seen on any other bike.

Those poor guys at Gevenalle are doomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment